Thursday, July 11, 2013

Newmarket is what they call a two-tiered town. One tier has a lot, as in money, and the other tier has little. Most of the shops are geared to those who have little. Many consignment shops, second-hand shops, charity shops, super-saver stores--that sort of commercial makeup.

The one thing the town has no shortage of though, is vibrant flower baskets.You see them everywhere, on porches, street lamps, side walls, shop walls, so fresh, so colorful. That's what puts the charm in this little town. That and maybe the fact that the butchers in small specialty shops wear hats. I noticed it in one shop and thought it unique, charming in the way that specialty shops can be, but then I saw the same thing in another butcher shop. A dress code, perhaps?  Whatever it is, I love it, visually.













Continuing down High Street (think Main Street), there it was, the English version of my favorite store. It cracked me up and of course I had to check it out. Similar items, but not the marketing skills of American store layouts. They even had the same purse I almost bought before my trip, except now it would cost 30% more because of currency conversion. And I wonder, why the K? Do other countries have the same store, but with another second letter? Curious indeed.













And then there were more flowers. They're a little like seashells to me. Once I get started, I can't seem to stop. Each one seems just a bit prettier than the last one, and today, I ended up with picture after picture of flowers. Today was the day of the flowers. I'm sure I'll get to the signs soon. The signs are another one of those things here that make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment